Friday, October 5, 2012

Blogging Social Difference in LA: Week 1


Lost in Los Angeles: My Relationship with and Understanding of Los Angeles as a Whole Thus Far


Born in San Francisco and raised in the college town of Davis, I have lived my whole life in Northern California.  Much of my dad’s family lives in the greater Los Angeles area though, so my life has also included making the long straight drive down I-5 at least twice each year.  Even with these numerous visits to LA, I feel like I hardly ever interacted with the city itself while I was growing up.  Trips were always “to my grandma’s house”, “to the cousins’ old home in Pasadena”, “to Long Beach to see Cousin/Aunt/Great Aunt _________”, or “to Southern California for family vacation”.  My time in Los Angeles as a child consisted of dinners at family houses, errands to Trader Joe’s, and countless afternoons at the beach, but my vacations were all about spending time with my family, not about spending time in Los Angeles. 

Although I have lived in Los Angeles for the majority of the past two years, I still feel as though I have a limited understanding of the city.  Without a car and with a midterm almost every week, it’s easy to feel trapped in Westwood and isolated from the rest of the city.  I know where things are, but not how they are connected.  I’ve been across the metropolitan area, but always as independent trips for specific purposes.

During this course and while working on this blog, I hope to gain a better understanding of Los Angeles as a location and as an entity.  As I consider Robert E. Park’s famous observation that 
“The City is a mosaic of little worlds which touch but do not interpenetrate”,
I hope to understand Los Angeles as a whole, even if it really only exists as a sum of its parts—a conglomeration of Park’s independent, little worlds.

Now before my field research of venturing into specific and different parts of the Los Angeles metropolitan area, I am not convinced by Park’s statement.  Although social difference unequivocally is found in cities of such a scale, I think that different social groups and cultures must intersect and come together, both physically and in less obvious ways.  Although social difference often comes to our attention in the form of conflict and confrontation, I think that differences in backgrounds, lifestyles, and ideologies can contribute positively to the city experience.  Of course, this is only possible if these various individuals and groups actually interact in some way or another. 

Even with my limited exploration of Los Angeles thus far, I have become captivated by the city and the concept of urban areas in general.  I’m currently considering graduate work in urban planning or urban economic development, especially focusing on environmental wellness and public health in the city.  I’ve spent several hours and weekends working with underserved youth from across Los Angeles and a special population of children and their families living in North Hollywood.  The past two years I also volunteered teaching English to day laborers waiting for work at labor centers in West and Downtown LA.  Again, I have taken part in these experiences as purposeful and isolated projects, spending time with a specific population in a specific part of Los Angeles.  To this point, I have been somewhat unable to see these groups within the greater context of the metropolitan agglomeration. 

As a geography student and as a citizen of planet Earth, I have always been fascinated by the concept of home.  During this course, I want to understand the process by which the individuals and groups of Los Angeles feel at home in their native area or in a location far from their original homes.  More recently, I have studied and reflected on the homeless and homelessness.  I hope to consider what it means to be homeless in Los Angeles and the lives of those who sleep on the streets, especially as a choice.

As I explore Los Angeles I hope to see how different groups (ethnic, cultural, driven by family ties or economic opportunity) make Los Angeles their home. I want to understand how transportation and access to resources such as fresh produce and public schools shape life in different neighborhoods.  I want to see if these socially different groups and their homes remain separate from one another or if it is their combination and interaction that makes Los Angeles what it is.  Do socially different individuals and areas all relate to one another within the context of the city?  Or do we only know our own areas and specific experiences—even though we all live within the city’s sprawling limits, are we lost in Los Angeles?

No comments:

Post a Comment